Born and raised on an island, the English are sometimes unfairly labelled as ‘cold’. However, a relationship with an English man will be rich and rewarding. Coming from a nation that once owned a third of the world, the English man is strong in character, resourceful and independent. Any ‘coldness’ will soon vanish to be replaced by a loving warmth that will enhance your relationship.
Fully up-to-date with everything that’s going on in the world, the English man, considerate and able to converse on almost any subject, will be the perfect partner at any function. Almost certainly he’ll have a good job and will therefore expect to have an equal partnership in any relationship. From decision making to helping with the day-to-day running of a household, he could be the perfect partner for any serious-minded person.
It has been said that English families are not as family oriented as other nationalities, however, an English man will be decisive about supporting his partner and family and will strongly defend his relationship. At present Great Britain is an ethnically diverse country, full of many cultures, and local inhabitants are pretty tolerant about different customs as Britain has welcomed immigrants for many years. Also, people who come to live in this pleasant country have a big opportunity to enhance the already expansive culture.
What is the character of Englishmen?
Like all other nationalities, the English love their food, and like most modern countries this tends to revolve around fast food because of the hectic lifestyle. Because England is home to many cultures, English people are accustomed to many various tastes, ranging from Indian and Chinese to wasabi-covered everything. Indeed, it is said that the favourite dish of most English men is the classic chicken tikka masala. City life is fast, therefore home cooking is usually quick and simple, whereas out in the country where the pace is slower, meals might take longer to prepare and usually consist of roasts, stews, and a wide variety of vegetables and soups. Meal-time is important for the Brits as they like to socialise over a plate of good food, be it with family, friends or workmates. British guys usually enjoy cooking, so if you are invited you should accept it as a ticket into his world.
In past ages it was typical for jobs to be chosen by gender. In the last fifty years, however, the lifestyle has changed and there is parity between the sexes and work and at home. A hundred years ago a typical family placed the man at the ‘head’, while his wife was in charge of the day-to-day running of all household activities. Today, however, there is a great deal of cooperation between partners and husbands and wives. Women in Great Britain are smart and well-educated, and pretty adept at multi-tasking between a busy career and keeping a well-organised home. English guys don’t waste too much time thinking about what they’re going to do – they just go ahead and do it!
Marriage is common for the citizens of Great Britain, although those who prefer to live in partnerships are also well-respected. While households built around a married couple and their children are held to be the norm, there are many variations to the rule. Indeed, a household headed by a married couple may well include children from previous or "outside" relationships, godchildren, or children of other family members. The idea of social classes is much more powerful than that of ethnicity, and people frequently characterise themselves as working class or middle class. Although few admit to being upper class, in principle there are three classes, with the highest reserved for the aristocratic inheritors of old, landed-wealth. The term "social class" has complex meanings with social, economic, and political dimensions. People who describe themselves as working class perceive themselves to have respectable but unprivileged origins, and typically are born into a family supported by wages from industrial or agricultural labour paid in cash at the end of the week. In these families neither parent possesses a college degree, and the housing is usually rented.
It’s not only American girls or American women who search for an "Englishman"
They are well sought after throughout the world because most women require a stable partner with a great sense of humour. Of course, most other cultures are aware that men and women from England are open and friendly. Most English guys know how to dress smartly, how to format clever jokes, and how to organise a perfect evening for their partner. But is this everything? Of course NOT! There are many other benefits to having a relationship with an English male. For example:
- They are polite gentlemen - English men find it very important to show women their kind character, they are polite in the home and outside too. They know about opening the door for their lady, when it’s polite to give her flowers or some nice small gift. They know that life is not just about work, but also about time spent together with the person they love.
- They are tolerant to women – For at least a century, males from the United Kingdom, and especially London, accept women as equal partners, and most are perfectly happy if their partner has a job. If his partner decides she’d like to start studying something or search for work, she’ll be given as much support and help as possible. English men love to have a happy woman beside them, and most don’t have a problem helping with household tasks.
- Their sexy British accent - The typical spoken English language has a clean, sexy style, which is typically missing in all American men and women. With its nice accent, it's easy to understand for many other nationalities throughout the world, and most women will quickly understand the language even if her own English is not of a high standard.
- Their calm character and good nature - As we have said, these guys have a perfect sense of humour and know how to tell good jokes. This is one great reason why most females feel free and happy beside these good natured guys. English men know how to make their lady laugh, even on that tricky first date. Family and kids are also of major importance in an Englishman’s life.
- Their dress sense - In London and most other cities, the inhabitants usually take good care about the clothes they wear. You can be sure your boyfriend will look smart, though casual, and wear up-to-date clothes.
- Being a member of a club – Don’t be surprised if your English man is a member of some social or sports club. Being a member or a part of some community is typical for many people in this country.
How to date an English man?
Dating a British guy is a little different to dating someone from another culture. While you can find a lot of nice interesting aspects, there are also some points about which you should take care if you’d like to win the heart of your chosen man.
- The typical British gentleman - While dating a Brit, accept the fact that they love to be polite and kind. They’ll open the door, be gallant, and at the end of the evening will expect to pay the bill. It’s polite to accept this gracefully, although you could always offer to ‘get the check’ at the next occasion.
- On your first date he will probably already have made a plan, and therefore won’t think to ask you what you’d like to do. It’s a fact that many Brits won’t ask you where you’d like to go or what to do, because they probably think they should lead the way. They are active and don’t tend to sit about waiting for something to happen. Knowing how to make you happy and feel good about yourself, they’ll listen attentively to whatever you have to say.
- Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t understand the words you use. It doesn’t necessarily mean they’re wrong, so just give him time or try using other words. Don’t be shy, Brits are really tolerant, and if he really likes you he’ll help you find the correct words.
- There will be endless topics of conversation from both cultures, yours and his. Enjoy!
- A British man will never be looking for the quickest way to the bedroom. Most of them are searching for an honest, loyal partner and won’t be in a hurry.
- Think about what you want to discuss. English guys are great at listening, and understand the issues you’re talking about.
Not sure about dating an British man? You can try other nationalities, such as French, German, Greek or Indan. Or many others: more than one million people search for love every day! So, just keep searching and your lucky star will find you when it’s the right time. Smart people know that, for each of us, there is always someone with whom to share life’s happy moments.