One of the four Scandinavian countries, Sweden is glued to the eastern edge of Norway, meets Finland in the north and is separated from the bulk of Finland by the Gulf of Bothnia. From the capital, Stockholm, downwards, the country faces Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Germany across the Baltic Sea, and is separated from Denmark to the west by the Kattegat. One hundred years ago the country was strongly homogenic, but over the past fifty years things have changed, due largely to a steady increase of immigrants: today, Sweden is open and multicultural. Life in the north can be pretty difficult because of severe winters, though in the summertime it becomes a country of friendly relaxation, inhabitants and tourists alike visiting the many beaches and places of interest. And while they may need a little time to accept new people into their lives, once they make up their minds they’ll be loyal and serious about their relationship.
As with most Scandinavians, the Swedes are able to converse in good English and communication with your Swedish lover won’t be a problem. Also, coming from a prosperous country, he’s sure to have a good job and financial independence, and therefore in a good position to bring strength and happiness into your relationship.
Swedish guys like to be up to date with all that’s happening in the world and will be an excellent partner for any formal or informal occasion. Equally at home drinking a beer or two at the local pub, he’ll radiate charm and confidence during those intimate moments at home or in a romantic restaurant.
Although coming from the ‘cold’ north, the Swedes are family oriented and content, and will ensure their relationship is blessed with harmony, wellbeing and happiness.
What is the character of Swedish men?
- Swedes like to keep their emotions under firm control. Though they may be open and friendly, Swedish guys are not the type to post their feelings on Facebook five minutes after the first date. Should you come from a culture where it’s normal to express your emotions in terms of words and gestures, you’ll probably find Swedish men rather formal and emotionally distant. However, this doesn’t mean they have no feelings, they just don’t tend to express them too much.
- Swedish men accept women as equal partners. It’s a common mistake for women from other countries to expect the man to wine and dine them throughout the date. However, since equal rights for both sexes are deeply ingrained in the Swedish culture, it’s the norm rather than the exception that women are expected to split the bill on a date. Indeed, if your Swedish guy has treated you to a movie or the theatre, you might even be expected to cover the after-theatre dinner or the drinks at a bar. Going Dutch – or fifty-fifty – is not seen as a sign of male minginess, and Swedish females are perfectly comfortable with the convention. So when going on a date with a Swede, don’t forget to take a purse full of cash, together with your credit cards for good measure.
- People from Scandinavian countries prefer to listen, rather than talk, it’s their everyday way-of-life. When dating a Swedish man, you may find yourself doing most of the talking. And even if you ask him a couple of questions in a row, it’s likely he won’t respond with a question of his own, but don’t see this as a sign of disinterest. Indeed, if you come from a part of the world where women are expected to be seen and not heard, this turning of the tables could be viewed as a refreshing change. And at the same time it’s just another symptom of the slow, measured nature of the Swedes. Don’t be fooled by your contact’s relative silence –while you’re chatting about your work and family, your date is sitting back and evaluating you as a potential partner.
- Swedes love to spend time outside, and your guy will be more than pleased if you decide to go for a date in the countryside. Indeed, if the excursion includes some sort of sport, such as cycling or walking, your ratings will go sky high. The Swedes fascination with the great outdoors usually extends to a kind of passion for fitness, so a date revolving around any physical activity is sure to be a great way to bond with your guy.
- Swedish men are stable. These guys don’t need to hurry you into the bedroom, they’re looking for a lifetime partner so they know there’s no reason to rush. Normally hesitant about making the first move towards a committed relationship, they hate it if a woman bombards them with a million messages of undying love. With your guy from this country, you’ll need to spend quite a lot of time before you get some positive result, but, if you don’t force the issue, you can end up with a very special partner, who’ll bring loyalty, stability, sincerity and equality into your relationship.
- Men from Sweden delight in caring for the family and helping with the daily running of the household. While they may not impress you with their dating skills, their deep-rooted belief in the equality of the sexes makes them perfect marital partners. Their natural aptitude towards helping around the house will be a nice change for you, especially if you’re used to the apathy sometimes encountered in other countries, such as America or Australia. Should you be thinking about raising a family, present Swedish laws not only offer a generous, fully-paid thirteen-month parental leave upon the birth of children, but also reserve three months of it exclusively for the father.
How do I date a Swedish guy?
If you are used to super-fast dating, you’ll find things are quite a lot slower when you decide to date a guy from Sweden. Here, when a single guy wants to meet a nice lady, he’ll probably trawl through an internet dating site or go to a bar with friends. And because most will be hoping to find a reliable, strong relationship, they take their time, knowing there’s no point in rushing into things. Swedish girls know this and accept it, as they feel the same way. Even though Sweden can almost be considered to be a part of Europe, the guys, because of their rather laid-back attitudes, are pretty different when compared with their counterparts in France, Germany or Italy. The Swedish social system is one of the world’s most efficient, health care and education being at the top of the agenda, so your lover from this amazing country will be well-educated and have great prospects.
- When you want to date a Swedish guy, don’t be in a hurry. If you show nervousness about something that may not be going too well, he’ll pick up on the vibrations and run away before you can think about making the next move. Guys from Sweden love to have space in their relationships, in much the same way as when they are dating.
- Most of them seek a serious relationship, not just some romantic interlude. Swedes love to meet people, gradually getting to know and understand them. This is especially true for men, who don’t talk so much as listen. Therefore, think ahead of what you’re about to say and do.
- Be honest. One of the most important things in any relationship with Scandinavian men is honesty. Most, whatever their age, regard their woman as a serious partner. If you want to be successful in your dating experience with a guy from Sweden, remember to be patient and speak openly. For some people this could be an untried manoeuvre, but the Swedes thrive on it, and it works.
- They don’t need you to be a supermodel, but like a woman who knows how to take care of herself, a woman who knows how to dress smartly and maintain a fresh, healthy appearance. We’re not talking about age, we’re talking about attitude to life.
Dating a guy from Scandinavia is a little different to dating guys from Europe, but when you’re looking for that special partner, someone who will see you as being on the same level, you’ll quickly come to love and appreciate these men from the north. They like to talk plainly and explain the situation, especially if they feel that something’s not going too well. A typical Scandinavian, whether he comes from Stockholm or Gothenburg, likes to be dated in an open and polite way, and in return he’ll always do his best to understand you. If you’re unable to find the right guy in this country, then perhaps you might like to think about dating someone from Norway, Iceland or Denmark.
And if you’re not too sure about dating a Scandinavian, you can check out men from other nationalities, such as German, Dutch or French.